After so many cancellations the Bucks finally had a game all be it a non league game away to Berry Hill utd. Both sides were glad to finally get a game under their belts. Both teams started brightly with Berry Hill dominant in the scrums in the early exchanges. The Bucks altered the front and slowly started to secure ball off their own scrum.


First blood went to the Bucks Ryan Walding converting a penalty from just outside the opposition 22. No sooner had the Bucks scored when Berry Hill came storming back with a fantastic team try under the posts. The Bucks gathered themselves and it wasn’t long before they started playing their usual free flowing rugby. With some good work around the breakdown the Bucks moved the ball wide for full back and birthday boy Tom Reynolds to go around the outside of the defence from half way out and under the posts to score. Ryan Walding converting the kick. Soon after the kick off the Bucks backs were at it again spinning the ball to great effect and wing Kane Hale scoring in the corner. Yet again a fine conversion from Ryan Walding to cap off a fine move. With half time approaching, the Bucks had a put in to a scrum just inside the opposition half. The referee called final play but the Bucks decided to pick from the back of the scrum and go further ahead. However best laid plans and all, they lost the ball and conceded a try under the posts. Half time score Berry Hill 17 Bucks 17.

The second half brought much of the same with both teams giving everything. Where the Bucks prospered was at the breakdown some superb work from their back row so them having plenty of possession. Ten minutes into the second half the Bucks had a penalty which they took quickly with scrum half Lee Wilkins giving the ball to Kane Hale to run in for his second try. Again a familiar story with Ryan Walding converting. Berry Hill were far from finished and came back again with their own converted try. With the score now 24 24 it was all to play for. 20 minutes to go and the Bucks get a penalty 10 meters into the opposition half. Ryan Walding stepped up to do what he’d been doing all afternoon and slot it over for a further 3 points. With only minutes left on the clock Berry Hill gave everything and moved ever closer to the Bucks try line. They were about to put down for what would have been a match winning try but knocked the ball on, the Bucks then cleared their line and held on for a memorable win. A fantastic game played by two really committed teams. Well done to both sides a great advert for Forest Rugby.

MOM – Lee Hopkins and Ryan Walding