In a match that was hugely significant to both side’s hopes of pulling clear of the National One relegation zone, it was Cinderford who produced a terrific display to overcome the challenge of Tynedale at a wintry Corbridge.

It was the visitors pack that laid the foundation for their victory as they comprehensively out scrummaged the home forwards, repeatedly pushing them backwards and allowing them to control long periods of the match, particularly in the second-half.  Cinderford had the advantage of a strong wind behind them in the first-half but it was Tynedale who began brightly and the ball was recycled through several phases of play before the overlap was created for winger Peter Weightman to touchdown for an unconverted try after just seven minutes of play.

The visitors responded well and put their opponents try line under pressure with a series of pick and goes from their forwards, twice being held up just short but they conceded a penalty and Tynedale were able to clear the danger.  The cold conditions contributed to both sides making handling errors but it was Cinderford who continued to press forward, and eventually a penalty was kicked into touch to set up an attacking lineout.  The resulting catch and drive saw No8 Mike Uren awarded a try which levelled the scores after 28 minutes, and that proved to be the final score of the first half.

With conditions now in their favour the home side would have hoping to use them to their advantage after the interval, but it was the Cinderford forwards who responded superbly, taking control of the match and denying their opponents any worthwhile possession for much of the half.
Despite their dominance it wasn’t until five minutes from time that the visitors finally got the reward for their efforts, when Tynedale were forced to concede a 5m scrum after taking the ball into touch behind their own try line.

The scrum had to be reset on a couple occasions before another mighty shove from the Cinderford eight enabled replacement No8 Dan Fry to touchdown for an unconverted try.  Tynedale tried desperately to respond in the closing minutes of the match, but Cinderford comfortably dealt with the challenge and were able to celebrate a fine victory at the final whistle.

Cinderford: M.Wilcox, N.Codlin, J.Adams, S.Hanks, S.Baker, J.Moffat, C.Stuart-Smith, C.Bundy, L.Cole, E.Booley, R.Birkin, E.King, G.Mills, M.Brown, M.Uren.

Replacements all used: J.Caulfield, S.Wilkes, D.Fry, A.Frame, L.Fielding.